towing capacity with a 6.2

Discussion in 'GM Diesel 6.2' started by diesel n dust, Feb 18, 2012.

1. diesel n dust

diesel n dust New Member

Sorry if already posted I did a search and couldn't find any real numbers just opinions. I am looking at a mid 80's 6.2 diesel auto 3/4 tonne. I understand that this isn't a powerhouse 7.3l powerstroke I am hopping I wont need one as there more than twice the price and not as cheep to run. I have a 5000 lb trailer max 7000 loaded to the tits usually not though I use once or twice a year. The rest of the time the truck would just be a daily driver I commute 10 or so miles each way to work most everything else my wife and I would use our car for.

I know I wont be passing anyone towing this trailer especially not in bc where I live but I am curious if this truck would be capable or if I would be asking too much of it to haul this trailer 400miles once or twice a year.

or if there are any cheep modifications I could do to it to make it handle this task better? Does anyone know the tow ratings of this truck reg cab long box?

the other 2 trucks im looking at are late 80s early 90s turbo diesel cummins 2wd (budjet issues). Or f250 6.9l 2wd. I know the powerstrokes are good but I think that may be over kill for my needs. Max 4000 budjet would prefer 2500-3000

2. ColoradoCowboy

ColoradoCowboy Member

What did you end up buying?

3. diesel n dust

diesel n dust New Member

1st gen cummins 3/4 tonne love it absolutely superb value for dollar. drove 20 hours in the Rockey's hauling a 6000lbs trailer for $160 in fuel less than a tank and a half. sure the auto trans could be better I would rather a standard (only problem is with the over drive not staying engaged when at hwy speeds not towing.) but I only payed $2500 for the truck so I am not complaining. It has over 400 000kms on it and just purrs like a kitten feels like it has a ton of life left. I'm sure the 6.2 would have been ok too but I have no doubt that this is a better truck in terms of work per dollar. It's a beast. Everybody should have one of these to do all the dirty work they would rather not use their new truck for.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012