oil capacity

Discussion in 'Oils and Lubricants' started by eldogg, Apr 25, 2006.

1. fore-speed

fore-speed Well-Known Member

Media:
    Oil changes

I have checked my owners manual and it says oil capacity is 10 qts plus one for the filter. For several years I have been running the interstates pulling 5-12k lbs. so since I bought the truck I always followed the advise of a retired Big Rig mechanic and tried to use Rotella T 15w40 with Mopar filters every 4-5k miles. Twice I have had my oil changed at diesel repair shops and each time they put in 12 qts. I discovered this the first time I pulled the dipstick following the service and found it indicating overfull.

Where have I gone wrong? Should I allow them to put in 12 qts? Could I run a little longer between changes? Changing this often is very costly?
    I hope I haven't hijacked this thread because my truck is a 1998.5 24v with 240k miles and I know you guys have been talking about an 06.

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    One extra quart shouldn't really hurt anything, but isn't needed. Did you say you are changing every 4-5K? In your situation, towing or not, I'd be changing every 8-12K with Rotella. You driving your truck for long distances minimizes the amount of heat cycles your oil sees, which greatly increases it's life.

3. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

If you got a Valvoline Instant Oil Change in your neck of the woods you might see if they will let ya look at there listings.The computer or well programers always listed the lighter weight as preffered oil and ussually never listed a second or third weight on newer vehicles I myself thought it was kinda thin and the customer did as well but for reasons out of my control I had to do what was listed.

4. jeffnvegas

jeffnvegas Well-Known Member

i digress

okay, i didn't mean to change lanes in this thread earlier , but i still think have a legitimate question regarding the first oil & filter change. since this engine, i'm told, doesn't really get broken in in less than 10k miles, is using a synthetic prior to that necessary?? isn't the idea to allow some wear to occur in order to seat the rings and such? i'm no mechanic, but i'm guessing that initially there will be more particles in need of filtering and a medium in which to carry them away. so on the one hand you would want something capable of carrying these particles more readily to the filter and at the same time not an oil that would greatly retard all wear making the breakin period longer. if that can be accomplished using a less expensive motor oil for the first couple of oil changes then why, when i have to buy twelve quarts at a time, shouldn't i be reasonable in assuming 15/40 of any brand would suffice?? maybe just buy a superior filter. which brings me to a question for another thread.....

5. rocknbronco

There are semi synthetic oils out there and Amsoil makes them as for the oil filter you could use a Wix or K&N,I myself use K&N but next time I am going for the 25K oil change so will use Amsoil's.A link for the semi synthetic oil is here https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/pco.aspx

6. Beeram305

Beeram305 Well-Known Member

7. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    You can use teh regular oil, you can use the semisyn, you can use full syn. Your motor will still wear in, but may take longer. With all the trucks I have had, I get tehm home (or on the way home) and hook em up to a heavy trailer and givem hell. Ususally best after the first 500 miles to allow the differentials to break in. Get the temps up and get the rings good and seated. I usually do syn the first oil change, or about 5k miles.

8. trander

trander Member

Everything that I have heard said not to "switch" to synthetic in a CTD until 15k to 20k miles to insure a good break-in. I have had all 3 generations of Dodges and never used synthetic. I put 12 quarts of 15w-40 Valvoline Blue in each one. Never any problems.

9. rocknbronco

your using a semi synthetic in Valvolines Premium Blue for what your paying you might as well go fullwaytogo

10. trander

trander Member

I only have 7k miles and I know from past experience it is not yet broken in.

11. rocknbronco

If your looking to brake it in fast then why not use conventional oils like Shell,Havoline,Castrol,Penzoil or Valvoline use then switch up when you get to your broken in point.With the vast majority of makers going to full synthetic from a semi synthetic and the engines lasting longer now I would say that its safe to run from the first day without any issues as I have yet to hear for any Dodge owners with the newer gens 06+ complaining about problems with the factory recomendations.If the technology is there take advantage of the product and save in the long run on fuel costs and wear and tear to have it around longer older trucks can still be good trucks in the future essecially if taken care of with the proper intervals and fluids.

12. karenhenry04

karenhenry04 New Member

Can anyone tell me which oil capacity is best?

Also want to know which one is best among them.

:)

13. rocknbronco

Go with the manufacturers recommended viscosity and use a synthetic from a reputable manufacturer I would recommend Mobile One or Valvoline synthetic oil's.