chevy vs ford

Discussion in 'Brand Wars' started by dubshot, Jun 17, 2009.

1. dubshot

dubshot New Member

Ok, guys need the advise, looking at the Ford 250 and Chevy 2500 in diesel. Want an 07 or 08. The price at just about the same, give me the pro and cons. The chevy has a better ride that I can see. Will get the crew cab in either truck. Thanks for the advice!

2. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    To start with I would go and test drive each to see how "you" like the ride, comfort, performance etc.. Not sure what or how much you will be towing but take that into consideration as well and go from there.

3. dubshot

dubshot New Member

I'm pulling a 31ft travel trailer that weighs about 7800#'s, other than that maybe a small tractor that don't weigh that much. Would like to hear the problems with each truck, and I know they all make LEMONS, but is there a problem with one more than another. The trucks I'm looking at has about 35000-52000 miles on them.

4. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Maybe some Ford/GM guys will chime in as I had a Dodge 3500 and didn't have any problems pulling 7,000 pounds up the mountains.

5. tinypeckerwood

tinypeckerwood Member

Any of the Big 3 will handle what you are planning to tow. It just comes down to personal preferance. We all have our own favorites. Mine happens to be GM. I have an 06 3500 4x4 and love it. The only issues I have had was a seal leaking at the rear drive shaft. It tows my 40' TH wonderfully, and on occasion I have been known to add a second trailer in the mix. That gives me a total length of 73' and 26-28,000 lbs. I am not in love with the last 2 series of powerstrokes, and the lastest cummins seems to be doing OK. I would not purchase anything older than an 06 from GM. They got it perfect in 06 with the LBZ. The later series,LMM, is the same but with more emmision junk.

6. cornmarine

cornmarine Well-Known Member

I would go with the chevy. I have an 07 lbz 2500hd. A knock from some bad fuel was my only issue. No doubt chevy has a better ride. Biggest thing though is to make your decision after you drive both.

7. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I vote GM. More power, better transmission, better rear end, nicer interior, and it's not a Ford :stir:

8. Got SMOKE???

Got SMOKE??? Member

chevy for sure. nicer interior, smoother ride, allison tranny, and more power. :stir:

9. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I have had both and would go with GM if I had to choose. The fords have by far the better suspension when it comes to carring heavy loads. The GMs have smoother rides, better economy fuel wise, less noise in the cab, and break down less. I tow real heavy and the chevy has better power but the fords can handle the weight better.

10. drh1175

drh1175 New Member

I am in the same boat. i am looking at a used 2006 to 2009. I have always been a ford fan. I do believe they have the best built truck period. With that being said unless you can afford a new 2011. The 6.4 seems to just plain out cost more to maintain. More oil, more expensive filters and worse fuel economy. The 6.0 though is a good engine if you can find one that hasn't been messed. Still is scary to me on my dollar. I drove both thought the ford was better overall. I am leaning toward Chevy right now though because I just think it is cheaper to own and seems to be pretty bullet proof if you maintain it. Even ford guys can't know the reputation of the allison, and features it has.

11. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    The only choice is Ford or Chevy???

I'll walk, thanks.rotfl

12. FireCat

FireCat Active Member

I think if ya want a truck that rides more like a car go with the chevy... if ya want a truck that rides like a truck go with a ford...the chevy is definetley built for comfort...just dont beat on the suspension to much...the ford rides stiffer and bounces a little more but suspension can take more of a beating....if your going off road go with the ford...pounding the pavement then go with the chevy.....just my 2 cents waytogo

13. Solitaire57

Solitaire57 Member

Ford forever.

14. DarellS

DarellS Member

Ford or Chevvy for reliability.